Knowing that you can recharge your mobile anytime and anywhere using the downloaded App on your smart phone is a big relief. You want; you get the mobile recharged; if not you let it be. Having an App from a reliable reseller of mobile recharges on your handset– like the Paytm App, MobiKwik App or PhonePe App – gives one a certain kind of freedom and flexibility. Apps are easy to operate; they are faster; they have user friendly features but only when they are from reliable sources and are authentic. The problem is that cyber crime is not limited to computer, laptops and browsers only; Apps are equally at risk and so is the user using them.
In order to make sure that your smart phone is not turned into a potential weapon for stealing your sensitive data, practise certain cautionary steps as mentioned below:-
- Never auto-save login ids and passwords of Apps on your handset, especially the ones that are related to financial transactions like mobile recharge and bill payments Apps. True it makes your work easy but auto-saving can be risky when in wrong hands.
- Using the mobile data network is much safer than using free Wi-Fi hotspots. In case you need to use public wireless network, it is safer to use the ones that are password protected.
- It is risky to send messages to another person that contains information related to your credit card or bank account.
- Setting a home lock screen is advisable. With evolving technology, nowadays there are smart phones and even Apps with fingerprint scanning and facial scanning features as the means to unlock the phone or App. These features can make your smart phone highly secure with minimal risk of your private information being accessed by unwanted persons.
- Downloading Apps from any available source is not a wise thing to do. Until and unless you are hundred percent sure of the Apps’ reliability do not download it. Read through the vendor’s website and social media accounts to understand its policies related to security, privacy etc. Using official Appsthat are downloaded from the official branded sites is the best alternate. Hence for getting your mobile recharge done, use the Paytm App or MobiKwik App but download it from the Play store on your phone or the official retailer site.
- Apps asking for too much permission while being downloaded needs to be verified for their authenticity. One needs to use their prudence to understand relevant permissions that an App should be asking for.
- Remove Apps that are no longer being used.
- When installing Apps, make sure to read through the ratings and reviews of other existing and previous customers. Ratings are one of the best indicators of the trustworthiness of the App.
- Have a strong and trusted anti-virus software downloaded onto your handset also helps in diminishing probable threats. In fact one should also have Apps that enable remote wiping out of all data from your phone in case it is lost or stolen.